Medical Informatics 2.0
Informatics 2.0 is the title of an editorial in the Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA). Subtitled, “implications of social media, mobile health, and patient-reported outcomes for healthcare and individual privacy”, this article reviews some of the recent work published in the journal including social media and mHealth. But what really is Informatics 2.0? We already have multiple definitions of medicine 2.0 and health 2.0. Is this an indication that Medical Informatics is broadening their horizons? Precise definitions are hard to find, but one should inlcude:
- consumer health informatics as evidenced by social media in health care
- e-Patient movement and participatory health care
- online interventions for healthcare
- Mobile devices and mobile apps for healthcare
- Use of social media in research recruitment
- Social networks and social media for medical informatics collaboration
- The semantic web in healthcare
- Patient Center Medical Outcomes enabled by online tools
- Reference wikis in medical informatics
As you can see, the scope of Medical Informatics is broad as the use of Web 2.0 technologies spreads to many opportunities and transforms medical informatics into a more dynamic endeavor.
Interests in social media in healthcare and Clinical Research Informatics including secondary use of EMR data. He presents on healthcare social media nationally and internationally. He is also an adjunct professor in health informatics at Kent State University in Ohio. He serves on the advisory board of several health IT startups.
The opinions expressed are my own and not those of my ...