Can the Mobile Healthcare Market Deliver?
While Apple was able to sidestep the delay of the iPhone 5 by presenting the new and improved 4S, will the mobile health market successfully bring the following forecasts to life? According to MobiHealth News, the following list of predictions for the next five years of mobile health — including prognostications for both consumer and enterprise — begins with one that has already come to pass.
- According to Manhattan Research, 81 percent of physicians will utilize smartphones by 2012 – this level of adoption was reached in May 2011
- Revenues from remote patient monitoring services that use mobile networks will rise to $1.9 billion globally by 2014 as noted by Juniper Research
- Chillmark predicts that the rapid evolution of mobile devices, physician demand, and healthcare enterprises’ need to improve quality and efficiencies will send the mobile app market soaring to $1.7 billion in three years time
- Voice over WiFi and RTLS (real-time location systems) will be joined by “medical body area networks” (MBANs), which utilize WiFi in mobile monitoring device, to catapult the WiFi market into the $1.3B range
- The market for wearable devices will exceed 100 million units annually by 2016, as reported ABI Research
- The global combined unit shipments of home-use digital blood-glucose meters, blood pressure monitors, weight scales, pulse oximeters and peak flow meters used in telehealth applications will grow to more than 1.6 million, according to a 2010 InMedica report
- Wireless devices that monitor patients’ conditions and report the data to healthcare providers will show a 77 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) that will create global revenues of $950 million by 2014, according to a 2009 report from ABI Research
You may be interested
Where Is The Balance? Pushing Back Against Consumer Health TechLarry Alton - August 18, 2017
When Republican Congressman Jason Chaffetz glibly remarked that Americans struggling to afford insurance should choose between that and their smartphones,…
What to Look for in Patient Solutions SoftwareRobert Cordray - August 17, 2017
The medical sector is one area where technology has had a significant impact, largely by providing tools that simplify many…
Can Natural Remedies Like RediCalm Decrease Stress and Anxiety?Ryan Kh - August 16, 2017
According to research from the National Institute of Mental Health, anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the…