- My beloved first grade teacher Mrs. White belonged to a teacher’s union. Is she a ‘special interest’?
- Is the letter carrier who delivers mail to my house a ‘special interest’?
- My accountant prepares my taxes. I pay him for this service. Does he have a ‘special interest’ to resist tax reform?
- Are NRA members and gun control advocates ‘special interests’ who are trying to further their agendas?
- Is Emily’s List a ‘special interest’?
- Is the Sierra Club a ‘special interest’?
- Are trial attorneys who donate millions of dollars to politicians to pursue good government or are they a ‘special interest’?
- Aren’t corporations allowed to advocate for their ‘special interests’ like the rest of us?
When politicians speak of ‘special interests’, they identify them specifically. If they were to name them, they would alienate many voters who support them. Politicians want voters to believe that the special interests being targeted are other voters’ interests, not theirs.