Key Reasons Why Vaginal Health Is Important For Women
Vaginal health is important and a key component of health for women. Here's what to know about why it is an important factor
One of the most important aspects of a woman’s wellbeing is vaginal health. Medications, clothing choices, diet, and stress can affect the acidity levels of the vagina. This organ is acidic in nature, which is a suitable environment for lactobacilli or good bacteria. This also promotes the production of normal vaginal secretions.
Prevent Vaginal Infection
Keeping the vagina healthy is the same as keeping the rest of your body healthy. You should have a good diet and good hygiene. Happy V explains it here that by paying close attention to your vaginal health, you avoid contracting infections, such as bacterial vaginosis.
Douching is commonly practiced in the United States. Douching refers to the process of washing the inside of the vagina with commercially sold, prepackaged mixes of water and iodine, vinegar, or baking soda. One in every five American women, who are aged 15 to 44 years, practices douching. However, this particular method is not recommended because it can lead to vaginal infections. It’s different from washing the exterior part of the vagina during a shower or bath.
Here are some helpful tips to prevent vaginal infection and promote good vaginal health:
- Wash your vulva and vagina using mild, unscented soap. Rinse it well and pat dry to avoid moisture buildup when wearing underwear.
- Only take antibiotic medicine as needed because it can kill the “good” bacteria or lactobacilli in the vagina.
- Reduce moisture and sweating by wearing cotton underwear or cotton-lined underpants. Avoid wearing tight pants, like extremely tight skinny jeans.
Avoid Urinary Tract Infections
Maintaining a healthy vagina means reducing your risk of suffering from urinary tract infections. Urinary tract infections or bladder infections are most often caused by germs, like bacteria, that get into the urinary bladder, an important part of the urinary tract that stores urine.
Here are ways women can avoid UTI:
- Wipe It Properly: With incorrect wiping of the vulva, bacteria from the anus can go to the urinary bladder via the vulva. The proper way of doing this is wiping the vagina from the front to back. It will avoid the spread of germs from the anal area to the vulva.
- Healthy Diet: Also, it’s important to watch your diet to avoid UTI and promote vaginal and reproductive health. You have to increase your fluid intake and eat a balanced diet. There are food and drinks that can help treat vaginal health problems, including yogurt, which prevents and aids in treating yeast infections, as well as cranberry juice.
Avoid Sexually Transmitted Infections
Douching is also linked to sexually transmitted infections or STIs. Having said that, proper vaginal care is important to avoid increasing your risk of contracting STI. Also, you have to practice safe sex to avoid sexually transmitted diseases, including the following:
- Genital Herpes: It’s a treatable disease of the reproductive system, manifested by blister formation on the genital or oral areas, and caused by a virus transmitted via sexual contact.
- HIV/AIDS: It’s an incurable but treatable reproductive health problem caused by a virus that attacks the body’s immune system.
- Gonorrhea: It refers to a sexually transmitted disease-causing infection in the genital area, throat, and rectum. The manifestations include cloudy, bloody, or thick discharge from the genitals, painful urination, anal itching, and painful bowel movements.
- Syphilis: This refers to a bacterial infection that usually begins as a painless sore, spreading through the mucous membrane or skin contact.
Note: Washing after sexual intercourse and wearing a condom can help avoid the development of STDs and promote vaginal health. Also, it’s important to change condoms to prevent introducing harmful bacteria when switching oral sex to vaginal sex. Don’t share sex toys to avoid vaginal infections.
Feel Clean And Comfortable
If you want to feel clean and comfortable down there, it’s important to include the best practices to promote vaginal health. Be keen on choosing the right products, including feminine wash, sanitary napkins, panty liners, and even your underwear.
Here are some recommendations when choosing the best feminine products and underwear:
- Most experts highly recommend using unscented and hypoallergenic soap and water to clean the vaginal area on a regular basis. However, if you want to use a feminine wash, it is best to choose unscented and mild variants.
- Choose underwear with breathable and soft fabric, like cotton. Their elastic should be firm, but not too tight, so they’d stay in place.
By prioritizing vaginal health, you’ll smell good down there and, eventually, earn self-confidence, promoting good overall health. Self-confidence enables you to effectively perform your duties and roles as a woman.
Vaginal health should be every woman’s priority. Yes, you must take great care of your beautiful face and skin, but it’s also of the essence to practice routine vaginal health practices, such as washing your genitals using mild, hypoallergenic soap or facial wash and avoiding tight clothes. Also, practice safe sex at all times to avoid contracting vaginal infections and STDs.