Patient Gets Drunk on Hand Sanitizer

June 20, 2011
50 Views

I would say he had quite a buzz going and probably a stomach that didn’t feel too good either.  I don’t that stuff tastes very good and he drank six bottles of the sanitizer and 66% alcohol will do it.  I heard stories of how inmates in prisons have ingested it, but this certainly seems to hit the high limit.  What is amazing is that 3 other patients had been nipping the sanitizer too.  The new procedures are to secure it to the wall and not have it available for consumption so easily.  Don’t drink hand sanitizer and drive by all means:)  I read too recently to

I would say he had quite a buzz going and probably a stomach that didn’t feel too good either.  I don’t that stuff tastes very good and he drank six bottles of the sanitizer and 66% alcohol will do it.  I heard stories of how inmates in prisons have ingested it, but this certainly seems to hit the high limit.  What is amazing is that 3 other patients had been nipping the sanitizer too.  The new procedures are to secure it to the wall and not have it available for consumption so easily.  Don’t drink hand sanitizer and drive by all means:)  I read too recently to where there have been cases of drug tests to where hospital staff, just by using the sanitizer correctly have shown traces of alcohol in their system. 

He was there being treated for alcoholism so I say he was in the right place, but lock down the hand sanitizer in the future:)  BD 

SYDNEY (AP) — A man who drank six bottles of alcohol-based hand sanitizer while being treated in an Australian hospital for alcoholism has sparked calls for the anti-bacterial gels to be better secured.Doctors said in a letter published Sunday in the Medical Journal of Australia that they were stunned to discover the man had downed six 375-milliliter (12.7-ounce) bottles of hand sanitizer, giving him a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.271 percent. That’s more than five times higher than the 0.05 percent legal limit for driving in Australia.

The 45-year-old had been undergoing treatment for alcohol-related gastritis when he drank the sanitizer. The gel has an ethanol content of 66 percent and is routinely used by medical staff to prevent infection.

Patient gets drunk on sanitizer in Aussie hospital – NewsTimes

 

You may be interested

Balancing Smart Data With Cybersecurity for Hospitals
Hospital Administration
435 views
Hospital Administration
435 views

Balancing Smart Data With Cybersecurity for Hospitals

Kayla Matthews - August 11, 2017

It should come as no surprise that your discussions and interactions with physicians and health professionals influence diagnoses, prescriptions, visit…

4 Ways to Halt Testosterone Problems After 40
Wellness
466 views
Wellness
466 views

4 Ways to Halt Testosterone Problems After 40

JohnHenning - August 10, 2017

Among men of all ages, testosterone is an important hormone for regulating health. Men over the age of 65 tend…

The Growing Concerns About Teenagers’ Mental Health
News
23 shares376 views
News
23 shares376 views

The Growing Concerns About Teenagers’ Mental Health

Annie Qureshi - August 7, 2017

The issue of adolescent mental health problems is a worrying one; although teenagers are stereotypically moody and distant, the number…