Living a healthy lifestyle should be just that – a lifestyle, and not something that you do for the short term. Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet, regular exercise and managing stress are just some of the ways to lead a healthier lifestyle. The online pharmacy, Pharmica have come up with the top 4 benefits of why you should start leading a healthier lifestyle today.
Exercising regularly releases endorphins, which triggers a positive feeling throughout the body. This will elevate your mood, reduce stress levels and it will increase your emotional state if you are feeling healthy inside and outside.
- Mental Health Leading a healthy lifestyle will have a significant impact on your quality of life. Eating healthily, i.e. a diet which is rich in fruits, vegetables and nutrients is associated with better mental health, as it exerts feeling of happiness, gives you more energy in the day and allows you to think more clearly, all improving your overall wellbeing. Along with a balanced diet, exercising regularly can help manage your stress levels, reduce anxiety, improve memory which can boost your mental health.
- Preventing diseases When you eat healthily, you are increasing the level of nutrients and antioxidants which can boost your defense system and help to ward off infections. A careless diet can increase the risk of developing diabetes and being overweight. This can be dangerous because you are increasing the risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure.
- Increase in lifespan Adopting healthier habits can increase your life expectancy. A study carried out by Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health analyze data from over 122,000 people to compare whether people adopting five healthy lifestyle habits in comparison to none. The healthy habits included a healthy diet, not smoking, exercising, limiting alcohol and maintaining a normal weight. The results showed that those adopting all five habits lived an average of 6 more years than those who didn’t. Similarly, they lowered their risk of death from cancer, and heart disease.
What can I do to maintain a healthy lifestyle?
The world we live is full of stressors and it might be easy to put off healthy habits. However, leading a healthier life will do wonders for your physical and mental health and overall wellbeing.
- Sleep It is recommended that you sleep around 6-8 hours per night. This will give you the energy you need throughout the day. Not only this, but individuals who are less sleep deprived tend to have smaller appetites, eat fewer calories and improves your immune function. Adequate amount of sleep is essential for your mental health as it helps you to control your mood and emotions. Not only this but you are more likely to improve your physical health as you have the energy to be more productive and helps with disease prevention.
- Yoga Yoga has become such an integral part of the 21st century because it not only incorporates exercise, but it allows us to delve deeper into our body, understanding our breathing techniques and the movements we make teaching us the art of concentration, all working to improve your physical and mental health.
- Eat a well-balanced diet Eating well is one of the foundations of good health. A diet rich in fruit and vegetables, avoiding foods which are high in saturated fat and drinking at least 8 gasses of water a day will have huge positive effects on your body. A healthy diet is linked with good sleep, improved memory, and it can also reduce your risk of developing cancer, heart disease and stroke. The internet is full of information and healthy recipes so there is no excuse not to start eating right.
- Find ways to de stress Stress puts a strain on your physical health, putting yourself at risk of developing chronic illnesses, and your mental health where you might find yourself more irritable, frustrated and you might find it very difficult to focus. Finding activities, you enjoy to de stress is a must. When you de stress, you are improving your mood, boosting your immune function and increasing longevity.
Life can be busy and overwhelming, but putting your health first is key. When you prioritize your wellbeing, many other details seem to fall into place.