Does Caffeine Reduce Depression?
|@David Emmite, Getty Images|
- Caffeine consumption increases physical performance during both short-term and endurance exercise.
- Caffeine can be found in some yogurt and ice creams.
- Caffeine is so popular it is considered the most common central nervous system stimulant consumed globally.
- The Mayo Clinic defines moderate caffeine consumption for most healthy adults as 200 to 300 milligrams — the amount in about two to four cups of brewed coffee a day.
- Caffeine releases glucose into the blood stream, so you have extra fuel. A 2010 study in the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism found that athletes who consumed both healthy carbs and caffeine had nearly 70 percent more glucose fuel in their bodies than those who only consumed carbs.
- Caffeine causes the brain to produce higher levels of dopamine, the brain chemical that floods us with a sense of pleasure.
So check with your doctor to see if your caffeine habit is healthy or if you should consider starting one!