Candidiasis infection is a fungal skin infection that can be caused by several Candida species, there are over 20 Candida species that can lead to an infection, the most common one is Candida albicans. The most common two types of Candidiasis are the oral candidiasis, which is generally referred to as thrush; the second is the vaginal type which is widely known as yeast infection. While Candida is a harmless type of yeasts that happens to be all over our skin, in our mouths, vaginas, and in digestive tracts; this organism is directly responsible for the occurrence of Candidiasis infection. The growth of Candida and the imbalance of the bacteria in our bodies are what lead to the infection, many factors can contribute to this but the main one is weak immune systems.
Symptoms of Different Types of Candidiasis Infection
While main symptoms and signs are common in all the types of Candidiasis infection like skin issues, including rashes, blisters, or pustules; merely all other symptoms vary depending on the type of Candidiasis infection one might be suffering from. Every type differs in the signs and the symptoms that you can look for. In this blog entitled, 8 Signs You Have A Candida Infection, it mentions more about other symptoms, causes and benefits of early detection of Candida. Here are some different types and their symptoms:
1. Vaginal Candidiasis (Yeast Infection)
Many might be under the wrong impression that yeast infection is a sexually transmitted disease, yeast infection usually is a result of a lot of wrong behaviors or health concerns. A weak immune system is the main reason behind all the fungal infections that may happen to someone, but there are a lot of other reasons. Using contraceptive pills, for example, might lead to yeast infection due to the hormonal imbalance and the sudden increase in estrogen. Other reasons like pregnancy, diabetes, or antibiotics! Usually the symptoms that accompany the vaginal Candidiasis are:
- Unusual vaginal discharge: daily vaginal discharge and usual changes depending on your cycle are completely normal depending on your cycle; however, sometimes the change in the vaginal discharge, especially if it was thick, white or yellow, odorless, and Cottage Cheese like, might mean that you have a yeast infection.
- Itching or soreness: the urge to itch with an infection might be overpowering, usually, the itchiness comes with a burning sensation, especially during intercourse. Itching might come with redness in the area and soreness which can be very annoying and painful.
- Pain or discomfort during intercourse: many might think that the pain comes from the fact that oral sex or intercourse is the cause for the infection. The fact is that intercourse specifically increases the symptoms simply because of the friction. The friction might swell your vulva and make the burning sensation unbearable even.
- Problematic peeing: when urinating is so irritating and agonizing, it might be a symptom of vaginal infections, urinary tract infections, or some sexually transmitted diseases. Problems with urination is usually a sign for a serious issue and definitely shouldn’t be ignored or taken lightly.
2. Symptoms Behind Oral Thrush
Oral Candidiasis is more common in babies than adults, and it has slightly different symptoms than vaginal Candidiasis, for example, it’s not usually accompanied by itching. Instead, they lead to other symptoms and you can see it through some signs like:
- White patches: Oral thrush leads to the occurrence of white patches all over your mouth, in the insides of your cheeks, tongue, or even your throat. Other than the fact that they look disgusting and alarming, it’s actually an easy symptom to treat with some antifungal creams or certain mouthwashes.
- Loss of taste: because of the spread of white patches in your mouth you might become a bit resistible to delicious food you used to enjoy. Sudden loss of taste might be a big sign of oral infection that you need to get checked.
- Dry and cracked mouth: oral thrush might make your mouth so dry that no amount of water can fix. The dryness and flakiness of the mouth and the area of skin around it can be extremely inconvenient and annoying.
- Pain: not only that you might not enjoy the taste of a nice meal, but oral Candidiasis can also cause intolerable pain during swallowing or chewing. Since the insides of your mouth are swollen down to your throat, it might get so hard to enjoy your meals.
Other Types and Symptoms
Yeast can also attack your digestive system or other areas of your skin, leading to different types of Candidiasis infection. Candidiasis can affect babies and adults, but a good immune system with good hygiene habits can protect you from the overgrowth of Candida. The golden advice remains to be to always seek medical help and attention if you have any signs or symptoms that are bothering you and your local OTC antifungal cream didn’t help with.