Is Your HealthCare Organization Making the Most of Twitter?
- Participate in existing tweet chats to understand and get comfortable with the format. Click here for a description and schedule of health care tweetchats compiled by the Fox Group. A recent blog post by social media coach Jane Fouts offers helpful advice on how to participate in a tweet chat.
- Choosing a topic for your chat is crucial. Find out what your audience is talking about by identifying, following and analyzing popular hashtags. (Click here to view a list of health care hashtags, also compiled by the Fox Group.)
- Know your goals: determine what you are trying to accomplish, identify your target audience, understand what issues need to be a part of the conversation and why this topic is important to your audience, determine the main message you want people to remember.
- Assemble a team to manage the chat and assign responsibilities. The size of the team will depend on your organization’s resources and the expected attendance.
- Use tools like TweetChat to help manage the actual event and monitor the conversation.
- Make your event timely by choosing a topic that people are actively talking about or plan your chat to coincide with national events.
- Start promoting well in advance of your chat date.
- Identify a panel of influencers who are leading conversations about your topic (both online and offline) and invite them to participate. Hashtag tools like Topsy, Hashtracking and The Archivist can help you identify top Twitter users for specific hashtags
- Make it easy for influencers and other supporters to promote your chat via their networks by offering them sample tweets.
- Promote the chat via your own Twitter account and other communication channels such as e-newsletters, your blog or other networks.
- Invite relevant organizations as well as individuals.
- Summarize and archive the key points that came out of the chat including relevant resources related to the chat. Distribute the summary to your audiences.
Please consider retweeting this post or following me @jamierauscher.