Home HealthWellness

The Difference Between Whey Protein Isolate and Concentrate

2 Mins read

Most of the proteins we get from sources like energy bars and powders are gotten from milk. Milk is made up of about 20% whey and 80% casein protein. Whey is gotten as a byproduct when cheese is made from milk. Whey is considered a full protein because it contains all the nine essential amino acids. There are three major types of whey protein – whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey protein hydrolysate. Whey hydrolysate is predigested, and that’s the only difference between it and other forms of whey protein. The protein has already undergone hydrolysis, which is one of the initial phases of digestion. This makes it easier to digest by the human body.

The Differences

The difference between these two forms of whey protein stems from the way they are processed. After the whey is gotten as a byproduct of cheese-making, it undergoes several processing steps to increase its protein content. Whey protein concentrate can contain up to 80% of pure protein. The remaining 20% include fats, lactose, and carbohydrates. Whey protein isolate, on the other hand, is almost entirely protein. It contains up to 90% pure protein. Whey protein isolate is simply a purer source of protein than whey protein concentrate. Additionally, whey isolate is more expensive than whey concentrate because it delivers more protein per grams. If you consume enough whey protein concentrate, you’ll eventually get enough protein to match the supply of whey isolate. If you need premium-grade whey protein isolate, you can get some from Opportuniteas.

The Similarities

Being great sources of protein, both forms of whey have tremendous beneficial effects on the body. Whey protein (either concentrate or isolate) has been shown to have the following effects:

Lean muscle mass and strength

This is probably the most widely known benefit of whey protein. Studies have shown that it’s very effective in increasing muscle mass and strength. In one study, a group of individuals was given whey protein, while the others were given a control beverage. The group fed whey protein was found to have gained more muscle than their counterparts. Both groups exercised at the same frequency, proving that the gains were due to the influence of whey protein.

Regulating body weight

Whey protein is also quite effective in promoting weight loss. Whey protein promotes feelings of satiety and curbs hunger. This then directly impacts the number of calories that the individual consumes during the day. In that way, the protein helps to keep junk food cravings at bay, ultimately helping the individual to lose weight.

Should you get whey protein isolate or concentrate?

Whey concentrate has a higher quantity of fats and carbohydrates. If you’re following a strict dietary regimen, whey concentrate is the way to go. However, if you’re looking to build lean muscle, whey protein isolate is better for you. You should also consider the price and your budget. Whey protein isolate is more expensive than concentrate. If you’re on a tight budget, you can get concentrate even if you’re trying to build lean muscle. As we’ve discussed, they both have high quantities of protein.

Related posts
Wellness

Top 3 Wellness Tips For Women To Feel Happy And Healthy

2 Mins read
Daily, the female body goes through a lot, what with hormonal shifts depending on what time of the month it is, pregnancy…
Home Health

Should You Consider Using A Water Filter? Here's What To Know

2 Mins read
Drinking water safety varies greatly based on where you live, and a water filter may be the best bet to ensure you’re drinking water is safe to consume.
Home HealthWellness

Why Is Water Important? Health Benefits Of Drinking Enough Water

3 Mins read
Water is life. It’s common knowledge that the human body is mostly water. Water covers around 60% of the body, to be…