How Portable Aromatherapy Can Lead To A Happier And Healthier Life
If you have never used essential oils, you may be a bit of a skeptic on the benefits of their use. You may think they are just another way to freshen the air. If so, let me enlighten you.
When we get an infection, we make a doctors appointment and he usually prescribes an antibiotic and we are on our way. A few pills and a few days later, we feel better and give it little thought. It may surprise you to know that the use of antibiotics did not begin until 1928 and it was 1940 before they became widely available to the public. For centuries, people relied on natural products for physical and mental health. Many people lived their entire lives without ever seeing a doctor. It is safe to assume they got sick from time to time. They experienced burns, cuts, rashes, food poison, and every illness we fight today.
As far back as ancient Egypt, plants were made into essential oils and these oils were used for healing, mood disorders, and skin problems. If essential oils were used for hundreds of years with success, why would it not be effective today? The fact is they are effective today and they are readily available.
How are they used?
Essential oils are very powerful. There are three ways they are used. You can use them in a diffuser. You place a few drops into a diffuser that has a water reservoir. The diffuser mixed the water and oil into a cool vapor which is released into the air. As you breathe the oils pass through the thin membranes in your nose and immediately react in your body. The second way is to ingest it. You can place a drop of the oil under or on the tip of your tongue. Finally, you can use it topically. Because the oils are so strong it is recommended that you blend the oil with a little coconut or olive oil and then rub it into the skin until there is no oily feeling.
There are several ways you can take your essential oils with you. There are necklaces that have lockets that open. You place a drop or two of your favorite oil onto a ball inside the locket and you can smell the oils coming from the locket. You might choose a bracelet that you simply smell when you need a boost of energy, stress relief, or pain relief. There are pens that are corked. You simply uncork the pens to inhale the scent and you are ready to go. You can also buy a diffuser that plugs into your car and allows the diffuser to release vapors in your car.
Ways portable aromatherapy can lead you to health and happiness
Now that you have a general idea of how to use essential oils, we will explain a few ways they can affect your health and happiness. In order to use them for these reasons, you must know a little about essential oils and what each one does. We will use examples of easy to use and well-documented oils. Note: you do not have to use just one oil. Once you find your favorites you can mix them for a dual effect.
If we had to choose one oil over all others for its benefits, we would choose peppermint. We will explain peppermint essential oil benefits, uses, and the best company to buy from. You want high-quality and pure peppermint oil as this will be your go-to oil most of the time.
Peppermint oil is effectively used for:
- Nausea and digestion problems
- You can place one drop in the tip of your tongue or you can mix 1-2 drops into a cup of hot tea for instant results
- Stops headaches and other pain
- If you suffer from migraines, (at the first sign of a headache) mix 2 drops of peppermint oil and 2 drops of coconut or Jojoba oil and rub it on your temples or forehead. You can also place some in a room diffuser and let the fragrance fill the room.
- Open your portable pen and inhale deeply (remember the oils work fast when inhaled through the nose)
- Peppermint oil is an all natural antibiotic
- It is great as an insecticide.
- Rub it on the skin to keep pests away from you
- Wear it in a pendant or on a bracelet to keep pests away while you are busy outdoors
- Enhancing mental clarity and focus
- If you cannot put a diffuser in your office keep your oil inhaler sticks handy. You will be able to smell the oil but no one else will.
- Stress relief
- Plug a portable diffuser into your car and let the peppermint give you focus while keeping your stress down. No more road rage. You can include a drop of lavender oil for a calming effect.
- Sore Muscles
- Mix a few drops with your coconut, jojoba, or virgin olive oil and rub it into your sore muscles
This is just one example. Do some research on what will help you with your problems. A few suggestions are:
- Lavender for sleep
- Sweet orange for calmness
- Eucalyptus for sinus or respiratory problems
- Tea tree oil for acne, insect bites, rashes or cuts
- This is also great for keeping fleas and ticks off your pets
- Clove oil for a toothache or abscess (apply to cotton and apply to the tooth)
- Grapefruit to increase metabolism and help you lose weight
- Add to a cup of water to ease a hangover
- Use in an inhaler to reduce anxiety
There are many more oils that will help you feel good and be healthy. Get a few bottles and try your own mixtures to see what works best for you.